The following are my notes of Dr. John Ewart’s lecture at SEBTS.
In the New Testament we see the church did not DO missions, they were missional! In the New Testament church mission permeated the church.
– There was Total Penetration – to all the world.
– There was Total Participation – every believer was involved.
In Acts 1:8 Jesus commanded the early church to be witnesses in Jerusalem, Judea & Samaria, and to the ends of the earth. The rest of the book of Acts tells how the Holy Spirit:
– Gave the believers boldness (Acts 4:31)
– Empowered the apostles’ preaching
– Worked signs and wonders through the early Christians
– Called out missionaries and evangelists
– Gave spiritual gifts to believers
– Guided the apostles to carry out their mission