Avoid as much as reasonably possible.
– 2 Timothy 2:22 “FLEE youthful passions and pursue righteousness”
– Ephesians 5:2 “But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality”
– Sometimes it will be unavoidable, but there is much we can avoid.
– What television shows, websites, or movies should you avoid? Maybe avoid them all together?
NO!!! Tell yourself NO within the first 5 seconds.
– James 4:7 “Resist the devil, and he will flee from you”
– “Take EVERY thought captive to obey Christ” (2 Cor. 10:5)
– Say it out loud if you must. Be tough and remember we are at war against our flesh.
– Literally within 3-5 SECONDS, do not let it linger any longer. (In reality 5 secs is probably too long)
– “Be killing sin or it will be killing you” (John Owen)
Turn toward Christ. Replace sinful thoughts with glorious thoughts of Christ.
– Hebrews 3:1 “Fix you eyes on Jesus”
– Turn defense into offense by meditating on a scripture passage you are memorizing.
– Spend time in prayer and meditate on God’s love and goodness.
Hold on!!! Stay focused on Christ until the images are pushed out.
– Matthew 5:29 “If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell.”
– This is a battle, a violent and intense battle.
– Matthew 11:12 “the kingdom of heaven has been forcefully advancing, and forceful men lay hold of it”
– Be a forceful man. How long will you hold on? How long will you fight the battle? Hold on! Fight! Don’t let Christ go! As long as it takes! Fight until you win!
Enjoy Christ and be satisfied in him.
– Pray Psalm 90:14 over and over again. “Satisfy us in the morning with your steadfast love, that we may rejoice and be glad in all our days”
– Understand that lusts for sex are large when appetites for Christ are small.
– You are created to enjoy God more than sex. Sex was created so that you can enjoy know and enjoy God more.
– Long for Jesus Christ! Crave Him! Have a taste for him and indulge yourself in his glory. He will satisfy you more than any sexual fantasy could.
– Learn from Solomon! (Ecclesiastes 2:9-11)
Move into a useful activity.
– Romans 12:11 “Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord”
– 1 Corinthians 15:58 “Be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord”
– Lust grows during leisure and boredom. Do something useful (hang out with somebody, talk to someone on the phone, go workout, go share the gospel with someone, play sports, exert your mind, fix something, etc.)
This post is adaptation from an article by John Piper tat you can see HERE.